Wednesday 22 October 2014

A Special Time of Year and Michaelmas Daisies


October and it is time for the michaelmas daisies to flower in my garden. It is a hardy perennial, its latin name is 'aster' and it has a similar look to a daisy with its yellow centre and fine petals. The flowers look star shaped and bloom in clusters. 



The plant grows between 20cm and 50cm high and its dark green leaves give a good contrast to its lilac flower heads. They can flower between July and October. Mine start growing tall over the summer and come into bud during September. In October they come out in full bloom and brighten up the garden once more after a lot of the summer planting has died back. 



Late September and early October is a very special time in my life. It was the time I got my new gift of life and received my heart and lung transplant. The day before my transplant was a gorgeous day and I'd noticed how my michaelmas daisies were full of bud and I was looking forward to seeing them in full bloom. 

While I was recovering in hospital, my husband brought pictures of them in so I could see them. I was lucky and was allowed out of hospital for a weekend after a few weeks. It was another gorgeous Sunday and I couldn't quite believe I'd had my transplant and come home. I was still learning to walk properly again, but I managed to get down the garden and see them. It was a precious moment. 



Michaelmas daisies will always be significant flowers in my life now, that remind me of that wonderful gift I received and the special person who gave it me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment