Wednesday 2 July 2014

Ickworth House




Ickworth House is a Georgian Italianate palace with an impressive rotunda, which is situated just a few miles away from Bury St Edmunds amongst idyllic Suffolk countryside. It is owned by the National Trust and is well worth a visit. We stopped off here as we were passing through Bury St Edmunds, just planning to grab a bit of lunch and have a quick browse around the gardens. Things don't always go as planned though - sometimes if your lucky in a good way - it was just so beautiful here we stayed all afternoon! 


There are 70 acres of gardens to explore from pleasure grounds, informal woodland walks, a walled garden, Italianate garden to a Victorian stumpery. This is definitely a place to keep coming back to through all seasons, but these are some of the plants and views you may find if you visit during June. 


A cloud of gypsophilia spilling over a beautiful swathe of geraniums. 


The bees were out in force as the geraniums spread on and on throughout the borders creating beautiful hues of blue. 


There is a lake at the bottom of the walled garden, where yellow flag irises were out and waterlilies were out in force and about to bloom. Who needs to sit staring at Monet pictures? Just come here! 




A tortoiseshell butterfly enjoying the valerian. 



The pale globes of allium reach out and stand high above tbe catmint. 


Little clumps of centaurea montana spring up here and there. These cornflowers always remind me of childhood. I can remember being with my mum when I was little and we took some cuttings from a cottage garden to plant in our front garden. It always makes me remember the house I was born in and spent my early years in! 


The borders of the Italianate garden were covered in catmint, its aromatic grey leaves and lavender blooms creating a haven for the butterflies and bees. 


A cabbage white drinking up the nectar in the catmint. 



There were several wild meadow areas which were full of ox eye daisies, creating a mist of white amongst the grasses. I love a wildflower meadow. 



An unusual specimen of tree funghi growing! 


The Italianate gardens.


There is an enormous walled garden area, which has been planted full of wildflowers and also has allotment areas within it too. These had all just been seeded and planted up in May, so have yet to come. I could visualise that these will look fabulous in high summer and early autumn. That is my excuse to be returning soon I hope and then there is the house to explore... well maybe in winter...although I think this place might be pretty stunning in spring too! I think I will be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment