Saturday 23 April 2016

Tulips and Happy Memories

When we go out for the day or go away on holiday, I often like to pick up a plant or two to put in the garden as a lovely reminder. Something that will trigger a memory when it flowers again over the following years - perhaps a thought of a happy occasion or a special day out or special place. 

Just after Easter we returned from a break in the Lake District and after a lot of rainy days, the sun was out and the front garden had suddenly started to burst into flower, as we pulled up on the drive. Amongst the newly opened flowers were a stunning group of bright pink tulips. They made me smile as I thought back to when I bought the bulbs - yes a truly happy and memorable occasion. 

It was just a year after my heart and double transplant. My transplant team had given me the go ahead to fly for the first time in over five years. I chose Amsterdam as I wanted to go somewhere new that I'd never visited before. It was only an hours flight too, which helped to allay some of my fears. I'd felt anxious about being abroad for the first time after such major surgery and also vulnerable to infection being immunosuppressed. 

Amsterdam is a vibrant and beautiful city and I loved being there for so many different reasons. We walked past the floating flower market each day and I used to stop and browse the stalls of seeds, bulbs and plants. I chose some tulip bulbs - obviously - and when we returned home, planted them in the front garden. Last year they flowered and I was pleased they'd survived, but this year they've multiplied and are looking fabulous -  well formed, bright and fresh. 

So yes, they brought a big smile to my face - not only for the fact that they looked beautiful and the garden has started coming alive again, but because of the memory that came flooding back - a very happy and momentus one. 










No comments:

Post a Comment